Friday 23 November 2012

Kilomathon

I took part in my second organised race on Sunday 28th October: the London Kilomathon. A Kilomathon is basically a marathon measured in kilometres, so 26.2km, or just over 16 miles.

I first heard about it from my sister about a year ago, and my reaction at that time was "no way!" but then I started running myself and before I knew it I was entered alongside my two sisters and their husbands and training as much as I could!

The day itself was cold - the phrase "Arctic plunge" mentioned by the weathermen - but it was thankfully dry. An early start saw us heading down to Lee Valley Athletics stadium for 8am. The race started at 9am.

Here we are at the start.
Harry, Nick, Diane, Me, Lynda & Terry


I enjoyed the race. We started on the Athletics track (I felt like a real athlete for the first time in my life!) and then headed out onto the road. The road bit wasn't too exciting, but it was only for about 5km, and then we took the tow path along the canal into Lee Valley Park. I thought the park was lovely, really varied scenery with lots to look at. The downside was that the route through the park was circular and we had to follow it twice. Parts were quite narrow and we had to dodge park visitors, many with dogs - though for once I didn't get chased! At one point the track was also blocked by a rather large swan! The last few miles I was also running totally alone, which was a bit odd!  I found it very well marshalled though and always knew where I was going.

The last mile was the toughest, along a long stretch of tow path. I was determined to keep going, not to walk! At the very end though we had to go up a very steep bank to get onto a bridge - I did stagger that bit I think - but then across the bridge and into a field and the finish line (that bizarrely said "Start"!)  I finished in 3hours 54 seconds, and very proud of running the whole thing!


But then, it all went wrong! As I said we finished in a field (not back at the Athletics stadium where the car was). I had to help myself to a medal as the girls handing them out were too busy talking to notice I'd finished!!

The "organisers" told us there were no parking facilities at the end and we were advised to purchase bus tickets for the shuttle buses that would return us to the start. When we had all crossed the line, we headed across the field to the buses, round a clump of trees and into the back of a very long queue! We were told by a St John Ambulance guy there were only two mini buses running and that it would be at least a 45 minute wait. He gave us foil blankets! We were freezing cold, tired, and aching, no where to sit, no hot drinks on offer. Some people gave up and headed off to find taxis. We waited, getting colder and colder. The buses arrived and a small fraction of the queue got on. At last someone took charge and arranged for us to wait at the White Water Centre across the canal, so we took our tired legs off back across the field and waited there. A bit warmer, but still cold. It was probably about another 45minutes or more before the buses returned and took us back to the start.

So after a good race, the whole bus shambles at the end ruined it for everyone. We had an apology via the Facebook page the next day, stating they were let down by bus contractors etc, but not good enough really. It was a cold day, and after running 16 miles it was not the end I wanted!

Unless drastic improvements are made for next year I can't see there being a very good turnout for this race. It really would be better if it could finish back at the start and not have buses involved at all.

However, I have achieved a kilomathon! What next?
Me, Grace & my Medal!




1 comment:

  1. congratulations on your running achievement - really impressive.

    ReplyDelete